Author Box
Articles Categories
All Categories
Articles Resources

Everybody Wants Black Gold

February 12, 2012 | Comments: 0 | Views: 147

Do any of you remember the theme song to the old TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies"? That's the first time I recall hearing the phrase "black gold".

It seems like we're all addicted to "black gold" these days. I've written a song with the title "Black Gold" and I'm trying to tackle the subject of our addiction to oil.

I've read that it's very difficult to get someone to understand something, when their job depends on their not understanding.

That seems to be where we are on the subject of climate change or global warming, or whatever you want to call it.

For the majority of us struggling to grind out an existence and earn our daily bread while keeping a roof over our head, it can sometimes seem like a subject best left to the experts, thereby relieving ourselves of any responsibility to contemplate what's happening.

Most of the world's economy is built on the use of fossil fuels, and who wants to "cut their own throat" so to speak, by supporting actions that may impact our individual ability to earn a living.

But, there's a problem with that line of thinking. As far as I know, we only have this one planet that we all inhabit. If the Eco systems are damaged to a point to where they no longer support life as we've come to know it, I don't think there's a giant transport ship waiting to take us somewhere else. (Not that those of us in the 99% would have much chance of booking passage even if there were some way off "this rock". Although, I suppose the 1% might want to take along a few of us to serve them...)

If you're only 10 years old, maybe all the "extreme" weather we've been experiencing for the past several years seems normal to you. If you've been around a while longer, I think you can recognize that it's not at all normal. I'm not someone that enjoys winter, and while I do enjoy unseasonably warm days...I know that there's something wrong when I get a 60 degree January day in Wisconsin.

There's been a fair amount of talk about "green" energy and "green" products. This has all appeared to be more of a marketing campaign than real efforts to fundamentally change how we operate.

I've always believed there won't be a fundamental change until the current titans of the energy industry decide that they have complete control over production and distribution of whatever green or renewable energy that could replace our fossil fuels. In the meantime, it's in their best interests to keep everything as it is now.

Except, keeping things as they are now, appears to be marching us toward a tipping point where there is no recovery. Indeed some believe we've already reached it.

Now, I would love to tell you that I'm a totally green guy with a small carbon footprint. But that wouldn't be true. I'm part of the problem. I do make individual efforts to lessen my footprint.

And everyone should do what they can. But until renewable energy is widely available, individual efforts will likely produce very limited results - as is the status quo.

It easy to feel powerless when thinking about this subject. And I'm certainly not anywhere close to being highly knowledgeable on this subject, nor do I have all the right answers.

But similar to the financial crisis of 2008 - where one did not need to be an expert on Credit Default Swaps and Collateralized Debt Obligations to instinctively know that something was going wrong. You knew it was unfair to provide trillions in bailouts to banks while millions of ordinary people were left to suffer. If you've been alive long enough, you should have something nagging at the back of your skull to give you the sense that there's something up with our changing climate.

For a much more informed take on the subject of climate change, you can check out Bill McKibben, founder of at He is also a regular at, so check out his latest there also.

I'm a singer songwriter exploring the human condition through song. I enjoy love songs, and party songs as much as the next person, but I also think that there should be songs about poverty, justice, the environment, politics, all the things that impact our lives. So in addition to writing about these things in songs, I also try to encourage conversation with my opinion on things that are happening. You might agree, you might disagree, but it's important to open space for dialogue.

Source: EzineArticles
Was this Helpful ?

Rate this Article

Article Tags:



Oil Addiction


Profits Over People


Climate Change


Global Warming


Renewable Energy


Fossil Fuels

Rather than blame others, take personal responsibility to reduce our dependence on oil by using less of petroleum derived products. Repeatedly we are hearing about oil spills, rising prices on oil

By: Kyles Humphrey l News & Society > Energy l October 17, 2012 lViews: 234

Traditional analysis of debt and deleveraging (the process where households, corporations and governments are forced to reduce their overall debt) is often biased and incomplete. Opinions of how to

By: Ben Esget l News & Society > Economics l August 11, 2012 lViews: 296

In this high paced digital age, it's easy to become displaced from the people and places around you. However, it's important to support your community and your neighbors who live in it, and work hard

By: Monai Gupta l News & Society > Politics l July 11, 2012 lViews: 332

In a bold, unpredictable move, President Obama declared on Monday his desire to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for all but the highest-income earners, by which he means anyone richer than Al and Peg

By: Scott Spiegel l News & Society > Politics l July 10, 2012 lViews: 228

Bipartisanship isn't always sweet. Especially when it comes to the politics of sugar.

By: Larry M. Elkin l News & Society > Politics l July 09, 2012 lViews: 237

In a direct reflection of the financial market's currently unsteady nature, the wholesale energy markets tumbled to a four-month low at the end of May. The bearish market was thanks to the continuing

By: Graham N Paul l News & Society > Energy l July 09, 2012 lViews: 222

Seeking the origins of things, the why and how and nature of things, is something we all do, whether we realize it or not. Searching for answers, how something began, the causes, trying to better

By: Steve Ohlsenl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 26, 2012 lViews: 171

Over the years, I've been involved in many organizations, activities, business, government, and now in retirement, perhaps semi retirement, I have spent a good bit of time people watching. I've

By: Lance Winslowl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 26, 2012 lViews: 135

What is the FDA telling us about cherries and why do they threaten growers? Why does the FDA approve so many deadly drugs with toxic side effects? When will the FDA ever get the entire over haul it

By: Gary Kent Boydl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 25, 2012 lViews: 167

One of the biggest mysteries to me is why anyone in their stark raving right mind would assume anything and everything had been created from scratch. You cannot make that assumption from first

By: John Prytzl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 25, 2012 lViews: 166

This article was written to try to get us to look at our our behaviour and how we define 'friendships.' It is heavily written with a personal view and no offense is meant. This is just an honest

By: Helen E Williamsl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 24, 2012 lViews: 153

If you believe in God, then do you really believe that He would allow conspiracies to succeed? He has put an end to conspiracies in the past.

By: John Dmytrukl News & Society > Pure Opinionl April 22, 2012 lViews: 162

How many of you out there have started a creative project and then run out of money prior to completion? How many of you out there have creative ideas that never got off the ground because you didn't

By: Leemanuel Hightirel Self Improvement > Creativityl March 15, 2012 lViews: 146

It's feeling like an instant replay with the sabre rattling toward Iran. Will we be served more Freedom Fries?

By: Leemanuel Hightirel Arts & Entertainmentl February 12, 2012 lViews: 128

Who decides when commercial interests should trump environmental concerns? Would you rather have clean water or more energy?

By: Leemanuel Hightirel News & Society > Pure Opinionl February 12, 2012 lViews: 113

A basement renovation, a furniture producer in Illinois, and possible war with Iran? What do any of these things have to do with each other? And how do you write a song about it?

By: Leemanuel Hightirel News & Society > Pure Opinionl February 12, 2012 lViews: 137

Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss...but why aren't you complaining now? I felt like singing the blues.

By: Leemanuel Hightirel News & Society > Pure Opinionl February 12, 2012 lViews: 144