Author Box
Articles Categories
All Categories
Articles Resources

7 Myths of Separation

February 25, 2012 | Comments: 0 | Views: 141

Many family law clients come to their lawyers with incorrect assumptions about their rights, and their ex- spouse's rights after separation.Here are some of the most common myths, questions and answers:

1. If I move out of the house I lose my entitlement to the house or I will get less in the property settlement.

The facts are however that this should not prejudice the property entitlement of the spouse leaving. It may however give the spouse who is still in the house a strategic advantage by delaying the matterie: leaving the other party desperate for a payout and possibly agreeing to less than their entitlement because they are desperate for the cash.

2. My ex- wife/husband has moved out of the house but is unpredictable and violent but it's illegal for me to change the locks because my name is not on the house title.

In a typical family law situation such as this, the victim of the violence could seek an intervention order against their spouse and if appropriate the court would exclude the violent spouse from the home.The police would not normally be involved in either spouse changing the locks ie: it would not normally be seen as a criminal offence for one of the spouses to change the locks.The Police would in most circumstances consider the matter a "civil" one and for the family law courts to determine upon either party apply, rather than seeing it as a matter for the criminal courts to deal with.Police may however get involved and lay criminal charges if there was already an intervention order in place and the party against whom the intervention order was made breached the conditions of that order even if they just went into the home to get their clothing and personal possessions.

3. My name is not on the title and I am concerned that my partner will sell the house without my knowledge.

There are things that can be done to preserve assets and put notice out to the world of the rights of the spouse who does not have their name on the title eg: lodging a caveat.When a purchaser is looking through the paper work to buy the property and a title search is done in the normal course of conveyancing, the caveat will show up and will need to be resolved before the property can be sold.

4.My partner is aggressive and violent.He/she has however told me that he/she has the right to see the children.

Long story short, it is the child's right to maintain contact with either parent subject to what the family law courts say is in the child's best interests.Often the family law courts will impose conditions upon the violent parent before or during contact (access) visits taking place eg: requirement for clean drug screens, abstinence from alcohol, mental health assessment, supervision of contact time, completion of an anger management course or counselling.It is not an automatic right to see the children whenever and at whatever cost.This can become a complex area however and it is prudent to get the advice of a family law solicitor before making any decisions either way.

5. My children are scared of my partner. What do I do? The children do not want to see him.

This is a difficult dilemma and really needs the attention of a family law solicitor after reviewing all of the facts including whether current court orders exist, if they are final or interim, what new circumstances have arisen since court orders were made, the history of the contact and if the contact parent has availed themselves of their scheduled contact allowed under orders, family violence, age and maturity of the children, and many other factors.In urgent situations a client may not be able to access a solicitor and should talk to police, child protection services and the child's doctor or psychologist to get advice if they are unable to see a solicitor.

6. What do we do about our tv, computer, surfboard and other personal property?

If these are the only items of property being argued over, it is simply not commercially worthwhile to spend the money to go to court.Most mediation centres offer the first couple of hours mediation free of charge, and can assist parties reaching an agreement to divide these assets.Before attending a mediation session it would be useful to list all items in the house room by room and then tick off which items you really want which are open to negotiation.

7. I am keeping the matrimonial home but I will refinance later. My partner said this is ok. What's the worst that can happen?

In this situation it is unlikely that the title can be transferred into one spouses' name whilst the mortgage is still in joint names.If the parties agree for he actual transfer and refinance to be done down the track say in 6 or 12 months, you should still get a binding financial agreement done so that the other party sticks to the agreement, even if you think you have an amicable verbal agreement or non legal written agreement.Quite often when third parties come along (family members, in-laws, new girlfriend or boyfriend) the situation changes and a claim is made instead of sticking to the original agreement.By that time the value of the home may go up and the claim made may include seeking a substantial payout.The partner that has moved out may also get pressure from banks that he/she is seeking a new loan or mortgage from, as they will immediately see the old joint mortgage still in existence which may be an obstacle to obtaining new finance so that partner can move on.

8. My partner took out a loan 5 years before we separated. Am I responsible for this loan?

In most cases this debt would be considered a debt of the parties together and the balance as it was at the time of separation would be taken into account so that each party would equally bear same within the property settlement, whether they continue paying it equally or one pays and the other gets an adjustment off their payout to reflect half of the total balance of the loan.There are however cases of wastage and special negative contributions which may change each party's responsibility towards the loan.One example could be that the loan was taken without the other's consent and used for gambling debts which arose without the other's knowledge or consent.But each case is different.The family law courts have handed down many decisions on this point.An experienced family lawyer would be able to tell you how the debt would affect your entitlement in view of previous similar cases having been decided.

To claim your free legal consult for any new family law enquiry, simply email your request for an appointment to or telephone Rigoli Lawyers on (03) 8742 3199. For more family law information please visit our website:

Source: EzineArticles
Was this Helpful ?

Rate this Article

Article Tags:






Teenage rebellion is easier to tolerate in book or film form. Take a look back at some of the most well known and loved "coming of age" stories set in boarding schools.

By: Harvey McEwan l Arts & Entertainment l July 10, 2012 lViews: 445

An important thing you have to consider before working out is having a pair of great training shoes. You cannot immediately undergo any physical training wearing inappropriate footwear. If you do so,

By: Steve Hill l Recreation & Sports l July 10, 2012 lViews: 349

Granite is one natural stone that is used for several purposes from dimension stone to countertops to sculptures. The use of granite for building the temples and monuments was initiated millions

By: Steve L Patterson l Arts & Entertainment l July 10, 2012 lViews: 298

Up to 65,000 H-1B visas for new employment may be issued each fiscal year (FY) for professional workers, including medical providers. In general, a person who already has an H-1B and applies for

By: Ann Badmus l Arts & Entertainment l July 10, 2012 lViews: 308

Beside coin shooting, gold detecting or the many other things you can do with your metal detector. There is a large group of people who take their metal detector out looking for old stuff. Not just

By: Candy L Lindsey l Recreation & Sports l July 07, 2012 lViews: 293

Many people want to be writers and you may be one of them. In order to make your dream occupation a reality, you need to have a plan. You also need to work on this plan constantly. These tips from a

By: Harriet Hodgson l Writing & Speaking l July 06, 2012 lViews: 439

A divorce attorney is responsible for navigating the process of dissolving a marriage partnership. This attorney will work hard to get their clients an out of court settlement for the division of

By: Antoinette Ayanal Legall June 15, 2012 lViews: 203

Any given law office will usually have a specific subspecialty that they help their clients with in the legal profession. During these tough financial times, law offices have sprouted up or began to

By: Abraham Avotinal Legall June 15, 2012 lViews: 208

This article explores the possible suggestions a bankruptcy attorney might give to his client. It explains the more common options.

By: Abraham Avotinal Legall June 15, 2012 lViews: 208

Not everyone has the ability to be a family attorney. Many would like to be one, but it's a challenging path.

By: Abraham Avotinal Legall June 14, 2012 lViews: 161

Making plans to deal with your estate or trusts while you're still able is a step in the right direction. That's why you need to work with a wills attorney in order to help guide you through the

By: Andrew Strattonl Legall June 14, 2012 lViews: 159

Anyone who has ever watched syndicated talk shows knows that it is a cinch to get a DNA test. Here are some of the common questions about the process.

By: Abraham Avotinal Legall June 14, 2012 lViews: 177

Read about 5 main differences between using a finance broker and going to the lender direct. You may be surprised about what you find.

By: Maria A Rigolil Finance > Home Equity Loansl April 13, 2012 lViews: 164

There are 2 main aspects to protecting your assets after separating from your spouse. Firstly, there are actions to take to preserve property, to ensure that it is not dissipated, de valued or

By: Maria A Rigolil Legal > Family Law and Divorcel April 11, 2012 lViews: 168

In Victoria, and most states of Australia, the role of Executor of a Will is to: 1. Organize or assist with the funeral arrangements for the deceased. 2. Ascertain whether the deceased left a Will

By: Maria A Rigolil Legal > Elder Lawl January 31, 2012 lViews: 153

Alice aged 48 and her de facto partner Bill aged 51 live together. Bill has a serious car accident and is in intensive care and doctors advise that he may take some time to recover and appears to

By: Maria A Rigolil Legal > Living Willl January 23, 2012 lViews: 172